Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The political in Ender's game

The clarity and simplicity of Schmitt's antithesis of "friend" and "enemy" being the basis of politics was really striking. Although his logic took a lot of twists and turns and, on this point at least, I never felt like it completely and fully established its own truth, it is still obviously a very useful way to conceive of political struggles. The division between the self and the other is clearly present in practically every part of the political spectrum.

I also found it very interesting to consider the struggles in Ender's Game in light of this conceptualization. Ender does assume a very political role for much of the book, particularly during the latter half or so of his training at Battle School. He acts in order to inspire respect, to garner allegiance, to fulfill everyone's expectations of him as the "chosen child", the "destined savior" of the human race or whatever it is. It's easy to see in Ender's relationship with other characters the division between friend and enemy (though the role of enemy is often imposed upon him by others, whereas Ender would have been content to remain politically "neutral"). Nonetheless, when the role of enemy is cast on you, you must assume it and reverse its definition back upon its imposer, who then becomes enemy from your perspective -- because, as Schmitt mentions, not to accept this antithesis and play by its rules is to ignore the underlying root of political dispute -- the threat of war.

And Ender uses this threat of war; he understands its significance and its political usefulness (and necessity). (I'm talking about on an inter-personal level, of course, not about the war he [inadvertently] wages on the buggers). Ender's calculating nature when it comes to combat, his ability to make preemptive strikes in order to prevent further problems in the future, is a very political asset. So is the more pacifistic way he creates allegiances among the members of his army, manipulates and uses their abilities and resources, etc.

There are also obvious themes of the political which tie into Schmitt's ideas in the subplot of Demosthenes and Locke, buttt.... they're not quite as interesting so I won't get into them here.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I agree with you, Russ, that Schmitt didn't satisfy me in terms of the argument he makes that the concept of the political derives from the distinction between friends and enemies. Once I finally accepted this and moved on(similiar to the suspension of disbelief in Sci Fi), his subsequent arguments were at least more convincing than the one off of which they are all based. Of course, the question any teacher/critic would ask of me is that if I don't think "political" invoves the distinction between friends/enemies, then what is it? I have no clue, and thus I cannot write a blog about how I think he's wrong on this because I have no counter argument. My will to fight had been beaten out of me already...