Monday, October 02, 2006

The religion question

I'm still perplexed about the exact message one is supposed to take out of all the religious, mystical goings-on in Fremen society. I think we tapped a really interesting well of material discussing the book from the perspective as a sacred text instead of a fictional narrative. The literary elements of the book seem to support this. But what purpose does this serve in our understanding of the book as a social/religious commentary?

Herbert was clearly interested in more than just the fantastical aspects of an alien religion -- he spends almost all of the second half of the book examining Fremen rituals, making spiritual connections to the Bene Gesserit, Paul's predestined leading of the "chosen race" to victory, etc. So, what is he saying? Where is he going with this?

I'm not posting this time because I think I have the answer to this; I'd like to open up the floor to ideas anybody else may have. What is Herbert's purpose in expounding so much upon the (seemingly atheistic) Fremen religion. As I mentioned in my previous post, I do think the economics of Fremen life -- the preciousness of resources necessitating a sanctification of them in order to keep society disciplined -- has a large role to play. But I don't feel like it ends there. There's a deeper theme, a deeper meaning.

Any ideas?

No comments: