Wednesday, November 15, 2006

On deaths, Emilio and suffering

I definitely agree about how dreary and depressing both of these books have been with the massive amount of deaths, especially of innocents -- or worse, the deaths of innocents contrasted directly with the thriving of the guilty.

I think you can certainly pick out a "story of Job" like theme with regards to Emilio and the trials he endures in the name of his own faith. Emilio is (arguably, of course) one of the most pious and sinless characters in the series, up until all of the rage and humiliation of being raped repeatedly and constantly leads him to murder an innocent. We can imagine God, watching Emilio, his most steadfast servant, testing his faith and his ability to persevere, torturing him and punishing him at every turn, either for God's own sick satisfaction, to settle a bet with the devil about the nature of piousness, or to prove a point about the greater good.

I don't know, I guess this is a grandiose idea, almost bigger than the themes of the book itself, but it's what kept occuring to me.. I kept putting Emilio's story (or his backstory) into this Jobian framework, and it kept fitting.

No comments: