Sunday, December 10, 2006

A world of alternet reality

OMG I just realized I did not post before class. I am very sorry! Here were my thoughts going into the class discussion...

This option of storing the soul seems like cheating to me. How is it that people capture souls and then go on about their lives without them ever ending. Not to say that they are exactly souls. but if they are doesnt that create alot of problems for religion. Another book I read about a year ago (I cant remember the name but I will post it when i get home) was about this man who created a machien that detected when the soul entered and exited the body. When he found out this solved the problem of ethical abortions because one could see when the soul had entered the fetus. Now in the case of souls that never get to leave a body, what is the ethical way of dealing with people who cannot authentically be toward their own deaths?
(Sorry, here comes Heidegger). If a Da-sein cannot be toward its own death then it does not truely look toward its future. It is inauthentically being in the past and the present, as if the present will never end. Since there is no angst toward death, peoople do not really have care for themsevles. In this case people are more like objectively present things than beings who are in essence in wonder about their being. For me this is problematic. In order to truely exist in all spaces and times one must worry about a perminant death. Ethics does not work in this framework unless everyone dies.

1 comment:

Russ said...

Don't know how much of this was covered in class - probably a lot - but what is the definition of a soul? In Windward it seems to be merely the abstract accumulation and interaction of a complex net of neurons.. the way they're twisted around each other in an effort to produce the sensation of consciousness. Obviously the metaphysical comes into play when trying to determine what the nature of this sensation of consciousness is -- is it beyond the individual, or just an intrinsic part?

Naturally I have no idea, but I thought about these things while reading the book.