Saturday, September 02, 2006

Introduction!

I like Vanessa's idea of an intro post! So, here we go...

I've read a lot more fantasy than sci fi, but I've read reams of both. For the majority of my childhood, I much preferred books to friends - and I was a pretty weird kid, so that worked out pretty well, except in developing social skills. I grew up watching the original Star Wars trilogy more than anything else - after my brother got the VHS box set, we'd watch about one a day.

I'm actually a lot nerdier than I rated myself in class, just not in science fiction. Of the books on the syllabus, I've read Ender's Game and Dune, as well as a few sequels of each. I've never read any of Ursula LeGuin's scifi, but I did read A Wizard of Earthsea. (I didn't like it much - the Disposessed is much better so far). Some authors I've read a lot more of are Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Diane Duane, Piers Anthony, Jane Yolen, and Lloyd Alexandar... just to name a few. As you can probably tell from that list, I tend to stick to a lot of young adult literature. And as long as I'm talking up my nerd cred, I should mention that I spent my high school years in deep worship of all things anime. I'm not quite so crazy anymore, but I do still read manga occasionally.

As for a few real life things about me... I grew up in Pittsburgh, city of three rivers. If I show up with bruises, don't worry, I'm not in an abusive relationship: I just play rugby. I'm pretty excited about analyzing the books we're reading from a historical standpoint, but I've never done it before, so I'll probably be the one piping up with a more literary analysis - except when we get to gender or sexuality issues. It's pretty hard to shut me up on those topics.

I'm looking forward to working with everyone - this is going to be a great class.

No comments: